Saturday, July 19, 2008

Before the Rush

Hello everyone,

One trend that seems to be running around the world is travel blogs. So I gave into peer pressure and have created my own (in case you couldn't tell). This is just as much for me as it is for anyone else. This will be my online journal of my travels and I'll be recording interesting places and experiences along the way that I can somewhat relive later. I hope you enjoy reading my posts and let me know if you have any suggestions, comments, questions, or stories of your own!

My travels begin on Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 and end December 6th, 2008. I'll be starting off in Paris, then jumping to Madrid, then flying to Rome, then skipping to Venice, making a short stop in Milan (short being the key word, only a few hours), running to Prague, busing to Berlin, swimming to Amsterdam, and then digging to England. For the first 25 days I'll be traveling with Ally, Erin, Bethany, Jan, Andrew, and Stephen. We'll be going from Paris to Amsterdam. From there I'm staying in Newcastle for a few days alone and then hitching a ride to Nenthead, England to participate in an archaeology dig for two weeks. I'll be digging along Hadrian's Wall, a castle, and some stables. Starting September 1st I will be studying at La Sorbonne in Paris, but that won't prevent me from traveling around Europe during my semester. I've already got a ticket to Rome September 11-14 to visit Ally (where she's studying abroad). Erin is studying abroad in Kenya and Stephen and Bethany will both be in Austria.

I've got at least two copies of every document I would ever need (including 8 copies of my passport), a rail pass, super glue, and all sorts of random and essential things I'll need. Ally is flying in today and I'm so excited to see her. My friends and I will be getting together tonight, tomorrow night, and Monday for various activities and we'll even have a packing/last minute meeting on Monday.

I won't have my computer during my trip, but I'll try and buy some Internet time every now and then to update everyone. Have an excellent life until I speak with you next!

One of the only bad things about studying abroad is not being able to watch the Mike Mayer show...

2 comments:

Heather B said...

so things you should make sure to bring while packing:

combination locks
lots and lots of pictures
any medication/soap/etc you are particular about
anything else you are picky about
a hat. i have none, which makes me terribly sad

despite bringing all the clothing you can, you will inevitably have that moment where the only appropriate thing to wear is sitting in your closet at home.

Mike Mayer said...

mcknight takes the lead